Asita Recordings

We like Pam Grier, Red Stripe, the sound and the smell of records, mixtapes,the SF Giants, analog synths, McCovey Cove, Lanikai at night, and San Francisco's indian summer.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Charles Mingus - Triumph of the Underdog



Youtube's endless and seemingly ubiquitous stream of videos never ceases to amaze. This evening I stumbled across the excellent Charles Mingus documentary "Triumph of the Underdog." It is a shortened version of Mingus 68, and essential watching for any jazz fan of music.

Mingus said of himself "I am half black man, half yellow man, but I claim to be a Negro. I am Charles Mingus, the famed jazz musician--but not famed enough to make a living in America." Seek out his biography "Beneath the Underdog" it is one of my favorites.

Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine

The video is still available for purchase here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home